CAPE TOWN - As calls mount for Social Development Minister Bathabile Dlamini to step down, some African National Congress Women's League (ANCWL) supporters who are also grant beneficiaries have told Eyewitness News they have full confidence in her abilities.
Earlier this week, the Congress of South African Trade Unions called on Dlamini to either resign or be axed over the social grant fiasco.
Anglican Archbishop Emeritus Njongonkulu Ndungane has also called on Dlamini to step down.
But supporters who spoke on the sidelines of the launch of the ANCWL’s Molo Melwane campaign in Khayelitsha on Saturday, which Dlamini was meant to attend but could not as her father is reportedly ill, disagree.
Tembeka Tshukuse was one of about 200 supporters at the ANCWL’s Molo Melwane campaign launch.
Tshukuse, who survives on an old age grant and child support grants for her three grandchildren, says she is confident she'll receive her monthly payout on 1 April.
“I’m confident that our president will never let us down, she has never let us down. All of our leaders have never let us down.”
The league's deputy president Sisi Ntombela also reiterated the message, saying the ministry will handle the matter.
The department and South Africa Social Security Agency have accepted responsibility for the grants debacle, which could see millions of beneficiaries without aid come 1 April.
The Presidency released a statement on Saturday confirming President Jacob Zuma had met the finance and social development ministers on their readiness to pay social grant beneficiaries.
The ministers assured Zuma that everything possible is being done to ensure grants get paid.