Ten of the 13 Correctional Services officials implicated in improper entertainment at the Johannesburg Correctional Centre have been served with letters of intention to suspend them.
Addressing the media in Pretoria earlier on Thursday, Justice and Correctional Services Minister Micheal Masutha said the officials have been given 24 hours to show cause why they should not be suspended.
“The remaining three will be served when back on official duty,” said Minister Masutha.
Minister Masutha apologised to the South African citizens for the incident and said as the department they ensure that it does not happen again.
According to the preliminary report received, illicit images showing half-clad women were taken at an event hosted at the centre during Youth Month Commemorations on 21 June at Johannesburg Medium B Correctional Centre.