The correctional services department on Friday declined to comment on a medical parole application reportedly made by the wife of convicted killer Clive Derby-Lewis.
"We won't deny, confirm or comment on any medical parole application or the state of any inmate's health condition," said chief deputy commissioner for correction and incarceration, James Smallberger.
He said the medical parole advisory board met on Friday to discuss all medical parole applications which had been received until Thursday.
According to the Beeld, Gaye Derby-Lewis applied for her husbands' medical parole.
Marius Coertze Attorneys said Gaye made the application two weeks ago when she handed in the application at the offices of the minister of correctional services.
She had apparently not received any feedback regarding the application since it was submitted.
Gaye said she would be applying for her husband's medical parole as he was suffering from cancer and from gangrene.
Derby-Lewis, 76, was denied normal parole last year.
He was sentenced to 25 years' in prison for his role in the killing of SA communist Party general secretary Chris Hani in 1993.
Derby-Lewis had arranged a firearm for hit-man Janusz Walus, who is also serving the same prison term.
They were both initially sentenced to death but this was commuted to life in prison when the death penalty was abolished.