There is still no end in sight to the current truck drivers' strike, with no plans by unions or employers to meet for further negotiations this weekend.
The South African Transport Allied Workers Union (Satawu) said it hoped that talks will continue more seriously soon after the Road Freight Employers Association on Friday dropped a court bid to interdict the strike, for the day.
Drivers are standing firm on their demand for a 12 percent wage increase every year until 2014.
On Thursday they rejected an offer of 18 percent over two years.
Satawu's Vincent Masoga said, “We haven’t heard anything from the Department of Labour or the CCMA from the mediation point of view.”
The union also said it is planning a secondary strike to intensify the pressure on employers.
Meanwhile, Gauteng police are investigating several cases on the East Rand in which trucks which were set alight.
Three trucks and a van were torched in Wadeville and Katlehong on Friday.
Ekurhuleni Metro Polices' Kobedi Mokhesend said they are still searching for those responsible.
“At this stage we actually can’t tell who is behind this unlawful act.”
And in Cape Town
An employee of a local courier company remains in a critical condition in hospital after the truck he was travelling in was pelted with stones allegedly by strikers.
Gary Stewart suffered severe head injuries after a rock hit his head earlier this week.
Stewart's sister, Michelle Fisher, said he is unlikely to recover fully.
“Medically his condition cannot change. It’s only the Man above that is in control at the moment.”
Early this week, two trucks were set alight on the N2 allegedly by striking workers.
Several incidents of intimidation have been reported throughout the country.