While police have only confirmed two deaths during protests in Zamdela, Sasolburg, local media on Wednesday reported the number was far higher and that a child was among the victims.
Residents of Zambela first took to the streets on Sunday, voicing their anger about plans to merge Sasolburg with the Ngwathe Local Municipality.
They were said to believe that basic services would not be delivered to the area if that were to happen.
Violence erupted on Monday, when protesters barricaded roads with burning tyres and set a municipal building alight. Many also looted local shops.
But the anger has simmered down since Co-operative Governance and Traditional Affairs Minister Richard Baloyi on Tuesday pledged to temporarily halt the process, while a task team assessed the viability of the merger.
Residents said violent clashes had erupted overnight, and some local media claimed that more people were killed, including a young boy.
But authorities said that it was up to the Independent Police Investigative Directorate (Ipid) to investigate any killings.
Dozens of people were hospitalised after being shot with rubber bullets during the choas. A policemen and a journalist were also injured.
Meanwhile, more than 200 people had been arrested while the streets of Zamdela remained littered with rubble.
Resident Nathi Buthelezi said he was hopeful that violent protests had finally come to an end.
"I'm going back to work and I'm very happy that the chaos is over."