The Vanderbijlpark Magistrate's Court has fined the Stonehaven-on-Vaal resort R200 000 for culpable homicide, following the electrocution of a five-year-old boy, it was reported on Friday.
Beeld reported that Ruan Pieterse died in October 2012 after a power-box next to a jumping castle toppled over and landed on his legs when he used its handle to pull himself upright after falling.
Stonehaven-on-Vaal director Rex Anderson, acting as its legal representative, had admitted negligence, the newspaper reported.
Pieterse's mother Yolandi Enslin told Beeld no amount of money would bring back her child.
"Even if the fine had been R1-million or R10-million, it won't bring him back. It was all so unnecessary and preventable, if they had only taken care of their equipment."
The newspaper reported that, according to the forensic investigation conducted after the child's death, the earth leakage in the distribution board was faulty and there was a continuous electrical current to the power box.
Magistrate Willem Strydom reportedly said the high penalty should serve as a warning to owners of public play areas to ensure that playgrounds were safe.
Get more from iafrica.com: