A blast that killed seven people in Lahore Thursday caused panic in Pakistan after an apparently coordinated wave of militant attacks over the last fortnight suggested a fresh surge of Islamist violence.
Authorities said Friday the explosion was an accident. However the incident underscored growing nervousness across the country after the recent series of assaults.
Here is a recap of the incidents that have killed 137 people over the past 11 days:
- Seven people are killed and 30 injured after a blast rips through a building in an upscale shopping area of the eastern city of Lahore.
Authorities initially describe the explosion as a bomb. A day later the provincial law minister tells a press conference the blast was caused by a gas leak, not a militant attack, blaming the chaotic aftermath for the confusion.
- Seven people are killed when multiple suicide bombers attack a court complex in northern Pakistan. The attack is claimed by the Jamaat-ul-Ahrar (JuA) faction of the Tehreek-e-Taliban Pakistan (TTP), or the Pakistani Taliban.
- Ninety devotees are killed and hundreds wounded when a devastating bomb detonates in the popular Sufi shrine of Lal Shabaz Qalandar in Sehwan in southern Pakistan. The Islamic State group claims the attack.
- Gunmen on motorcycles kill four policemen and a civilian in the northwestern town of Dera Ismail Khan. The attack was claimed by the umbrella TTP.
- An improvised explosive device claimed by JuA hits an army convoy in the restive southwestern province of Balochistan, killing three soldiers and wounding two others.
- A suicide bomber rides a motorcycle into a van carrying judges in the northwestern city of Peshawar, killing the van's driver in an attack claimed by the umbrella TTP.
- Two suicide bombers launch an assault on a government compound in the Mohmand tribal region in the northwest, killing five people and wounding seven, with the attack claimed by JuA. Later, a fourth suicide bomber blows himself up as police surround him.
- Fourteen people are killed and 82 injured when a powerful bomb blast tears through Lahore. The attack, apparently targeting police, is claimed by JuA.
- Two members of the bomb disposal squad are killed while defusing a device in Quetta, the capital of Balochistan. No group claims responsibility for the bomb.
- A roadside bomb kills three paramilitary soldiers in a restive northwestern tribal area bordering Afghanistan.